News

Five Migrants Drown In Shipwreck Off Tunisia

Five migrants from sub-Saharan Africa drowned and five more were missing after their boat sank off Tunisia en route to Europe, authorities said Saturday.

The Tunisian coastguard rescued around 20 others from the Mediterranean, according to the district attorney from the port city of Sfax, Faouzi Masmoudi.

Boats were continuing to scour the waters off Sfax for any more survivors, Masmoudi added.

Parts of the Tunisian coastline lie less than 150 kilometres (barely 90 miles) from the Italian island of Lampedusa, making them a favoured departure point for migrants ready to risk the dangerous sea crossing.

More than 23,500 migrants of various nationalities were intercepted off Tunisia between January and September last year, according to the FTDES rights group which tracks migration issues.

More than 500 people died or disappeared at sea during the same period, it said.

The coastguard is under pressure to stem the flow but lacks the means to do so, according to Tunisian authorities.

The so-called central Mediterranean route, which also includes boat launchings from neighbouring Libya, is the world’s most deadly migration pathway.

AFP

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: