News

One Dead, Over 100 Injured In Attack On Atiku’s Convoy – Borno PDP Gov Candidate

Contrary to the statement by the Nigeria Police, the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Borno State, Mohammed Jajari said on Friday that one death and over 100 injuries were recorded as a result of the attack on the convoy of the party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar in Maiduguri.

Recall that Atiku was in the Borno State capital on Wednesday for a rally when the incident happened.

Jajari while speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Friday said, “Throughout the journey from the airport to the Shehu’s place, they had mounted what we call Civilian JTF (Joint Taskforce). They removed their uniforms, put down their identities and they mobilised them across the street throughout from the airport to the Shehu’s palace,” the governorship hopeful said.

“There were stones and sticks — so many. Even at the venue (of the rally), so many people were treated, and the injured were so many that we had to send them to the hospital. Over a hundred and something people were injured and one of the casualities, last night, at about 9 pm, died.

“The (rally) venue was peaceful. We came in, and all our supporters were fine. We did our rally and it was peaceful. But the same people were on the same street as the presidential candidate was leaving for the airport.”

The PDP governorship candidate said ahead of the rally, alleged threats made by opposition members against the PDP were reported to security agencies at the federal level.

According to him, while he was not aware of any action taken by the security agencies, Atiku’s security details “arrested few” of the suspects.

“We have written petitions to the Office of the IGP, to the Office of the DSS, to the Office of the National Security Adviser, to all of them and we had copied the (PDP) state chapter as well. That was done last week, way before the rally happened. But to the best of my knowledge, no action was taken.”

Recall that the Borno State Police Command had said that there was no attack on the convoy of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, as “falsely and mischievously” claimed by a PDP chieftain, Dino Melaye.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Sani Shatambaya debunked this on Wednesday while addressing newsmen, saying reported attack is false. He said, “The news of the attack on Atiku Abubakar’s convoy was not only fake but a false and mischievous attempt at confusing Nigerians.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: