At least six persons have been shot dead at Sabo Area of Ondo town, Ondo State on Wednesday night by gunmen, who rode on motorcycles.
The incident reportedly happened around 12:30am when the gunmen opened fire on innocent roadside petty traders.
This comes 72 hours after some terrorists attacked St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, killing about 40 people.
It was gathered that the bandits also robbed some residents of the area before they left the scene.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the state, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the incident.
She, however, said it was a robbery case, adding that men of the command were already on the trail of the perpetrators.
Meanwhile, the Sarkin Hausawa of Ondo, Alhaji Abdulsalam Yusuf, told Daily Trust that those killed were Northerners.
He said, “They came to our area (Sabo) on motorbikes and each was carrying three gunmen. All of a sudden, they started shooting people who were mostly suya and tea vendors.
“A J5 bus driver who was on transit and stopped to eat was the first victim. They killed a guardman and another shopkeeper who was trying to lock up his shop and run away from the assailants.
“They again gunned down two young men who were eating noodles at a mai shayi stall. That makes five victims in Sabo alone.
“Again, they struck another area called Iba where they also shot dead another man,’’ he added.
Yusuf said he informed the divisional police officer in the area who dispatched a police patrol team to the place to assess the situation and evacuate the corpses to the mortuary while survivors were taken to a hospital.
Yusuf said the attack might be a reprisal because they had been living in the area for more than 60 years, peacefully, until the Sunday attack on worshippers.