Not less than 7,000 people have signed a petition asking the United Kingdom and the European Union to slam a visa ban on Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai.
This comes barely hours amid reports that the United States Government has banned Mr. el-Rufai from visiting.
The petition, initiated by Reno Omokri, on Tuesday, was addressed to the UK Parliament, the UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson; Council of the European Union and the European Parliament.
As at the time of filing this report, more than 7,000 people have signed it.
Omokri, a former social media aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan, accused el-Rufai of being a threat to the peace and security of Nigeria for many reasons.
He pointed out that in December 2016, the governor admitted that he paid herdsmen who had been accused of killing several persons.
Omokri said, “Since that admission, there has been an intense escalation of the killings of mostly Christians in Kaduna, and on August 25, 2020, suspected herdsmen abducted seven schoolchildren and their teacher from Prince Academy, in Kaduna. They have not been seen or heard of since then.
“On February 6, 2019, he threatened foreign observers, including observers from the EU and UK with death, warning that they would return in body bags should they intervene in Nigeria.
“On July 15, 2012, Nasir El-Rufai said, and I quote ‘We will write this for all to read. Anyone, soldier or not that kills the Fulani takes a loan repayable one day no matter how long it takes.’ This threat has been carried out in Southern Kaduna where there is an ongoing genocide of Christians under el-Rufai’s watch.”
Omokri added that on August 23, 2019, the governor charged the Anglican Bishop of Zaria province of Kaduna, Abiodun Ogunyemi, with criminal defamation.
The petition read further, “On April 24, 2019, another of his sons, Bashir el-Rufai, described the pogrom against Igbos as sweet.
“It is for this reason that Nigerian citizens call on the government of the United Kingdom and the European Union Presidency to follow the lead of the United States and place a visa ban on Nasir El-Rufai, who is scheming to become Nigeria’s President, to prevent a Rwandan style genocide in Nigeria.”
Mr. el-Rufai had yet to respond to this as at time of filing this report.
Recall that the Nigerian Bar Association had last month barred el-Rufai from speaking at its Annual General Conference over the killings in Southern Kaduna. He is accused of not doing enough to protect the people of Southern Kaduna.