No fewer than 42 persons were killed when Boko Haram attacked Goni Usmanti village in Gubio local government area of Borno state on Saturday.
A witness, Ahmadu Modu, told the Cable that the insurgents stormed the village in four gun trucks and motorcycles around one in the morning.
Some members of the civilian joint task force in the village engaged the Boko Haram fighters in a battle that lasted for about an hour before they were overpowered, he said.
According to Modu an air force fighter jet hovered around during the attack but did not render any assistance to the people.
“No ground troops came to our rescue. Our people fought alone until over 40 of them were killed,” he added.
The Nigerian Army was yet to say soemthing about the latest attack as at the time of filing this report.
Recall that Boko Haram had also last week attacked Faduma Koloram village in Gubio. 80 people were killed.
Notwithstanding these attacks, President Muhammadu Buhari, in a Democracy Day broadcast, claimed that his administration has “considerably downgraded” Boko Haram. He added that all forms of crimes across the country had also been reduced, despite the menace of bandits in the North and herdsmen across the country.