Pre-existing health conditions may hamper the recovery rate from coronavirus of Abba Kyari, the powerful chief of staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, accused by Nigerians of heading an influential cabal that hijacked governance in the country.
According to the Punch, doctors treating Mr. Kyari, after he tested positive to COVID-19, have obtained his medical records from Wellington Hospital, St. John’s Wood, London in the United Kingdom.
Kyari has some other ailments which could slow his rate of recovery from coronavirus, the report said.
A source at the Ministry of Health told the newspaper, “From the information at my disposal, chief’s (Kyari’s) medical records have been sent via email from Wellington Hospital where he goes for his check-up and also gets his treatment.
“He has some other health conditions which will be kept confidential. We are hoping for the best.”
The Wellington Hospital, which is located in North London, is the largest independent hospital in the UK.
It offers cardiac services, neurosurgery, liver and HBP medicine, rehabilitation, gynecology, orthopedics, and other services, according to Wikipedia.
Kyari was in December 2016 flown from Nigeria to London on emergency and attended to at Wellington Hospital.
The chief of staff to the president tested positive to coronavirus after coming back from an official trip to Germany en route Egypt on March 13. He was accompanied on that trip by the minster of steel, Saleh Mamman, where they met Siemens officials on March 9 over the power deal signed with the company.
Since his return to Nigeria, Mr. Kyari had met with the president, vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, minister and state governors, who attended the Federal Executive Council meeting last Wednesday.
He had also met billionaire businessman, Aliko Dangote.
Meanwhile, Bala Mohammed, governor of Bauchi State, has also tested positive after coming in contact with Kyari. Tests ran on President Buhari and his Vice indicate that they tested negative, his aides have said. However, medical experts say it is too early to declare them free from the virus.
There is intense panic in government circles since it became public knowledge that Kyari had tested positive to CONVID-19. It is yet unclear how many people have been infected due to the fact that he exposed himself on return from Germany, not knowing he had been infected.
As it stands now, many government officials, their family members, concubines, aides and government workers may have contacted the disease.
It is too early to evaluate the magnitude of the health challenge this has posed to the country’s poorly-equipped public health sector that may not have what it takes to deal with the pandemic should it spread dramatically. Many government hospitals don’t even have running water.
As at Tuesday night, The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced two new cases of coronavirus, increasing the confirmed cases in the country to 46.
On Monday, a former Managing Director of PPMC Suleiman Achimugu became the first Nigerian to die of coronavirus, due to alleged poor handling of his case by public health officials.