CHECKPOINTCHARLEY has confirmed that, contrary to the buzz on Social Media of alleged siege on the Abuja residence of Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen and his looming arrest by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), there was no sign of such when a correspodent visited the said residence Tuesday evening.
Onnoghen’s spokesman, Awassam Bassey, has also confirmed that the CJN was at home as at 6pm, hours after the news of the raid on his residence went viral on the internet.
A senior EFCC official, who does not want his name in print, also told CHECKPOINTCHARLEY that there is no plan by the anti-graft agency to arrest the nation’s No.1 judicial officer.
Mr. Onnoghen had attended the 2019 armed forces remembrance day in Abuja earlier in the day.
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode had raised alarm of the alleged raid via Twitter on Tuesday.
He had tweeted, “Why have the EFCC surrounded the home of CJN Onnoghen and why are they seeking to arrest him?
“These people want Nigeria to burn! Buhari call off your dogs before it is too late!
“This is a democracy and not a gestapo state! In the name of God let this madness stop.”
The government of President Muhammadu Buhari had on Saturday reportedly issued an order to Justice Onnoghen to immediately vacate his office over allegations of failure to declare his assets.
The CJN’s infamous trial at the Danladi Umar-led Code of Conduct Tribunal was expected to commence in Abuja on Monday on charges of failures to declare his assets as required by law and for operating Bank Domiciliary Foreign Currency Accounts, but the case was adjourned due to failure of the prosecution to effect proper service of the charges on the accused.
Later in the day, an Abuja Court issued a temporary order stopping the trial.