Many Reportedly Killed As Boko Haram Fighters Ambush Nigerian Soldiers During Meal In Gudumbali

Boko-Haram-1

A Boko Haram ambush on soldiers Friday evening at Gudumbali area of Borno State has left many soldiers dead, military sources in the state told Premium Times.

But the Nigerian Army said only one soldier was killed in the attack, saying it successfully repelled the attack and killed many of the insurgents.

Gudumbali is the headquarters of Guzamala Local Government Area of Borno State, where Metele, another military base, was attacked, which led to at to the death of dozens of soldiers last month.

A top military source who spoke to the newspaper from Damasak, said the troops were attacked by a large number of Boko Haram fighters who surprised the soldiers at the time they were about to be served their evening meals.

The military source, who asked not to be named, said, “The soldiers were caught off guard on that Friday evening when a container food truck that normally brings their meal arrived the base and soldiers filed out to receive their ration.

“Most of them were not fully kitted, talk less of being armed at the time the Boko Haram terrorists suddenly opened fire on them from nearly all directions.”

The source, who is in Damasak, a Nigeria/Niger Republic border town, 79km from Gudumbali, said the Gudumbali military base was “dislodged completely.”

“There were about 700 soldiers at the Gudumbali camp and many of them had to scamper for safety, while some who were badly hit by the ambush paid the supreme sacrifice.”

According to the source, an effort was made on Saturday to retrieve corpses of the slain soldiers.

The source added, “As I am talking to you, now we are in Damasak and we have about 30 corpses of our gallant colleagues while about 20 others soldiers who managed to escape the attack have made it to Damasak on foot. We are yet to account for the remaining soldiers as we are speaking now.”

The soldier who spoke to Premium Times late Saturday night said they hope to receive more of their missing colleagues by (Sunday).

He said that the Boko Haram insurgents may have made away with some of the weapons and vehicles left behind by the dislodged soldiers.

However, the spokesman of the Operation Lafiya Dole in the North-east, Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, said Sunday aftenoon that only one soldier was killed, as the troops fought gallantly to repel the attack.

He said, “Troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE located at Gudumbali in northern Borno State on Friday 15th December 2018 repelled an infiltration by suspected Boko Haram terrorists that came disguised as humanitarian assistance team.

“The terrorists took advantage of the ongoing distribution of relief materials at Gudumbali and opened fire on troops location which was followed by rapid fire from other terrorists in gun trucks along Gudumbali-Kukawa axis. The troops however fought gallantly and outmanoeuvred the attackers inflicting heavy casualties on them.

“Unfortunately, a soldier paid the supreme price during the encounter, while another was wounded in action. A Cobra Armoured Personnel Carrier and a truck belonging to the unit were damaged.

“The troops have recovered bodies of some of the neutralised terrorists, large quantity of ammunition and 8 Rocket Propelled Grenades Charges.

“The troops have since been reinforced and normalcy has been brought to the general area.”

Advertisements


Categories: News

Tags:

1 reply

Trackbacks

  1. Many Reportedly Killed As Boko Haram Fighters Ambush Nigerian Soldiers During Meal In Gudumbali, Northeast, Nigeria – Matthews' Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: