Ezekwesili Takes Campaign To Abuja Streets, Urges Buhari To Publish Identities Of Army Base Attack Victims,

Oby-Ezekwesili

Former Education minister and Presidential Candidate of Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, on Sunday took her campaign to Abuja streets, speaking one-on-one with residents and distributing booklets and leaflets containing her policy action.

The ACPN candidate told the people, during the campaign which started at Apo area of the city, that she is the best candidate among those contesting for president.

She blamed mismanagement of resources by those entrusted with leadership for the slow pace of progress in the country.

According to her, she adopted the street campaign method because it would make money unnecessary in campaign and during elections.

Mrs. Ezekwesili said she wants to prove to people who have been asking her about her structure that she had it on the streets.

Meanwhile, the former minister has lamented the killing of soldiers during the Matele Army base attack by  Boko Haram insurgents, saying the incident does not speak well of the country’s internal security apparatus.

She condoled the families of the deceased, but expressed her disappointment that it took the military about a week to confirm the incident.

Mrs. Ezekwesili, in a statement on Sunday, tasked the military authorities and the Commander-in-Chief, President Muhammadu Buhari, to prove that they haven’t failed the nation’s soldiers, saying many questions were begging for answers with the recent killings of soldiers.

She urged the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to publish the names and authentic figures of fallen soldiers for Nigerians to know the extent of damage and for record purposes.

She said, “There are pertinent questions that the Federal Government and the military need to answer.

“How did this latest in a series of killing of our soldiers in front line of battle catch our country off-guard?

“Don’t we think the official line that the Presidency and military have been pushing on the state of the terrorism war is endangering our soldiers and nation?

“Can the government be more honest on the challenges it appears to be facing in prosecuting the war?

“It is no longer acceptable for our heroes to die and not be accorded the honour of gallantry.

“The FG and the military must accord full military burial rites to the fallen soldiers and also publish the list of others who have died and had been buried discretely in recent times without giving the Nigerian people the opportunity to celebrate their gallantry.

“The Federal Government should immediately take measures to protect and preserve our soldiers, military establishments, our people and territory to avoid further deaths.

“It is time for a review of current operational strategy being used to prosecute the war. It is also high time that our Intel (intelligence unit) was revamped.

“The Federal Government must take measures to assess the failure of leadership of the Service Chiefs — as performance, accountability and consequence have been missing for far too long and must now change.”

Advertisements


Categories: News, Politics

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: