UPDATED! Eight Chibok Girls Abductors Arrested

Arrested-Boko-Haram-members-in-Borno

The Borno State Police Command on Wednesday paraded eight suspected Boko Haram members and their accomplices allegedly responsible for the kidnap of Chibok schoolgirls in 2014.

Also paraded were another 14 suspects accused by the police of being responsible for various suicide attacks carried out by teenage girls.

This was disclosed at a press conference by the Borno State Police Comissioner, Damian Chukwu at the force headquarters in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital, while parading the suspects in Maiduguri.

Mr Chukwu said that eight of the suspects were Boko Haram members and top commanders responsible for the kidnapping of the girls, and over 50 suicide bomb attacks in Maiduguri and parts of Adamawa.

According to him, some of the suspects participated in the invasion of Bama and Gwoza and had also carried out various attacks on security agencies and civilians in the North-east.

The CP stated that the arrests were made in the past two weeks in Borno and Yobe following the deployment of the IGP’s Intelligence Response Team (IRT) under the command of Abba Kyari.

The suspects included eight insurgents who participated in the abduction of the schools girls, three top commanders, two logistic suppliers and 17 fighters, he said.

Those who participated in the abduction of the girls as a 23-year old Mayinta Modu, aka Abor, Adam Mohammed, 20; Gujja Jidda, 21 and Mamman Wardi, 25.

Others are, Modu Jidda, 29, Ajiri Bulama Dungus, 22, Mohammed Abba, 20 and Fannami Mustapha, 22.

The CP revealed that the suspects had confessed to have participated in the abduction of the girls and also in coordinating various suicide bomb attacks.

Mr. Chukwu singled out Adam Mustapha, 20, as the mastermind behind series of suicide bomb attacks in Maiduguri and Adamawa.

He added that the suspects conveyed female and male suicide bombers from Sambisa forest to different locations in Maiduguri and Adamawa to carry out the attacks.

He said, “The suspect confessed to be the mastermind of the suicide bomb attack in Baga road, Bulunkutu, Custom, Post Office, 3-3 housing and Muna area of Maiduguri. The attack led to the destruction of lives and property.

“One Mustapha Kanimbu, aka Aaramma, 20 years old, native of Mobbar Borno, is one of the Boko Haram terrorists’ commanders, who supplies logistics to the group members in Sambisa and also confessed to have participated in several attacks and killing of hundreds of people in Maiduguri.

“Ibrarahim Mala, 48 years old; native of Gwoza local government area of Borno, is one of the insurgents’ commanders, who lives in Dalori karekere area of Maiduguri, (he) supplied food and logistics to his members in the Sambisa Forest.”

Mr. Chukwu said the suspects are now helping the police with useful information to arrest other fleeing insurgents and commanders.

Recall that over 270 Chibok girls were abducted from a Chibok school dormitory in 2014.

So far, about 100 of the girls are still being held by Boko Haram.

 

Advertisements


Categories: News

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: