The President of the Senate Dr Bukola Saraki will meet President Muhammadu Buhari to brief him on alleged plot by the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris to implicate him.
Mr. Saraki will lead the leadership of the upper legislative chamber to meet with President Buhari over the alleged plot.
The Senate president, Bukola Saraki, had on Wednesday raised an alarm over the said plot by Mr. Idris, to “frame and implicate” him.
During plenary, Mr. Saraki told his colleagues that he wanted to call their attention to an urgent matter.
According to him, the IGP, who thrice refused to honour Senate summons recently, had transferred some criminal suspects undergoing interrogation in Kwara to make statements to implicate him.
The Senate President claimed that the “plot is part of the strategy by the IGP Idris to settle scores over the declaration by this honourable Chamber that he is not qualified and competent to hold any public office, within and outside the country and that he is an enemy of Nigerian democracy based on his usual disrespectful conduct towards lawful authorities.”
Consequent upon the alert, Senator Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom state, raised a point of order and moved that the issue be debated and a resolution taken.
Based on that Mr. Saraki recused himself and allowed his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, to preside as advised by Ibn Na’Allah.
The senators, after deliberating on the matter, resolved that the Senate President should lead a delegation to relay the concerns raised on the floor by Saraki. The delegation would consist of the Senate President, the Senate Leader, Senator Ahmad Lawan; the Chief Whip, Senator Olusola Adeyeye; and the Minority Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio.
Other members of the delegation would include Senator Danjuma Goje, Senator Sam Anyanwu, Senator Aliyu Wammako, Senator Fatima Raji Rasaki, and Senator Oluremi Tinubu.
Read Saraki’s full statement below:
STATEMENT BY SENATE PRESIDENT BUKOLA SARAKI INTIMATING SENATORS OF PLOT AGAINST HIM BY IGP
1. My Distinguished colleagues, there is an issue which I need to bring to your attention very urgently.
2. Last night, my State Governor, Dr. Abdulfatai Ahmed revealed to me an information at his disposal that a group of suspects who had been in police cells for several weeks for cultism and whose investigation had been concluded with prosecution about to commence under the State law based on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) and the Ministry of Justice were ordered to be transferred to Abuja this morning.
3. According to the information available to the Governor, the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Idris Ibrahim directed the Commissioner of Police in Kwara State to immediately transfer the men to the Force Headquarters. The plan, as the Governor was made to understand is that, under duress, the suspects would be made to alter the statements they already made in Ilorin. They will then be made to implicate the Kwara State Government, and in particular, myself, in their new statement.
4. This plot is part of the strategy by the IGP Idris to settle scores over the declaration by this honourable Chamber that he is not qualified and competent to hold any public office, within and outside the country and that he is an enemy of Nigerian democracy based on his usual disrespectful conduct towards lawful authorities.
5. In my own view, this plot is an act of desperation, blackmail, intimidation, abuse of office and crude tactics aimed at turning our country into a Police State where top officials cannot be made to obey the law, follow due process and subject themselves to constituted authorities.
6. I want to bring this dangerous development to the attention of all of you my colleagues, the entire country and the international community so that you can be aware of the level of impunity in our country and the danger it constitute to our democracy.
Thank you, all.
Sen. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, CON.
May 16, 2018.