A 36-year-old man, identified as John Emeka Obodoechina, 36, has been burnt to death in Lagos, by his fiancée, Blessing Ohare Ukhurebor after he told her that he was no longer interested in their relationship.
John had dated Blessing for over a year and they had lived together.
According to the SUN, at some point in their romance, John introduced Blessing, from Edo State, to his siblings. But he was advised not to rush things. He should study the lady for some time and decide if the family should formally go to Blessing’s family for dowry payment, he was told.
In any case, John reportedly told his lover of his intentions to meet with her family when he felt that he had known her enough, but the plan was suspended at the instance of Blessing’s family.
From there on things changed for the two. A relative told how John started noticing strange behaviour from Blessing. .
Also some of the couple’s neighbours narrated how at the slightest misunderstanding, Blessing would lock the door, pull a kitchen knife and threaten to stab John.
“After about three months they met, Blessing started taking some of her belongings into John’s place. At that time Blessing did not know whether anyone was John’s sister or colleague in the office, so any calls from a female caller was seen as a taboo,” John’s elder brother, Chief Obodoechina snr said.
In order to calm the storm, John started introducing Blessing to his sisters and colleagues. Unfortunately, Blessing’s unreasonable jealousy remained unabated.
John therefore reached the conclusion that marriage between Blessing and himself would only be disastrous, so he decided to call it quit.
He told Blessing of his decision and his wish that both of them should part ways in peace. But Blessing refused to accept.
On 1st August, John was said to have given Blessing N100, 000 to help her secure an apartment in order to help her make a smooth transit into another chapter of her life. On that same day she set herself and John ablaze.
John’s sister, Angela Ibrahim, said: “She poured fuel on him when he was sleeping, and lit the match. Unfortunately, because fuel is inflammable, she was also affected.”