The Anambra State Commissioner of Police Garba Umar has said that the Sunday morning attack on Ozubulu Catholic Church, were officially eight were killed and many injured, was a result of a quarrel between two natives of Ozubulu residing overseas. Mr Umar stated this as he attempted to calm tension in the areaa, saying that the mayhem was not carried out by Boko Haram insurgents as rumoured.
He said investigations showed that the attack on St. Phillips Catholic Church, Ozubulu Ekwusigo Local Government Area in Anambra State was executed by a native.
“From our findings, it is very clear that the person who carried the attack must be an indigene of the area.
“We gathered that worshippers for 6 o’clock Sunday mass at St. Philip Ozobulu were in the service when a gunman dressed in black attire covering his face with a cap entered the church and moved straight to a particular direction and opened fire.
“The man after shooting at his targeted victims still went on a shooting spree, killing and wounding other worshippers,” he said.
“Such conduct shows the people behind the act do not fear God,” he added.
CHECKPOINTCHARLEY is yet the verify the authenticity of Mr. Umar’s claim.
The State Commissioner of Police, said the remains of the dead had been deposited at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital in Nnewi, while the injured have been taken to hospital.
Unconfirmed reports however say over 50 worshippers were killed.
See below video of the church after the killing spree …. (graphic)